Pages

Logbook

    2.19.2008

    Birthday Party!

    Last night, we went to Lisa's birthday party with Trine, Mari, Suzanne, and Anne-Marte. It was a bit of a cold walk out to the off-campus YSJ apartments where Lisa lives, but like the last time we were there, they had prepared enough food to feed a castle. Cakes and cupcakes and cookies! And coffee, too!

    I got the chance to try out my new suspenders, which were well received, and I also learned that they are called "bukseseler" in Norwegian. Trine taught me some other words and phrases by writing things down on napkins. For example, for our trip to Norway, I learned the phrase "vakre kvinne hva heter du," which I thought meant "what is your name, beautiful woman?," but apparently this translation they gave me doesn't have quite the poetic or romantic connotations I had hoped. Better luck next time? My fate improved then as we preceded to discuss the phonetic spellings of such strange English words as "kernel" and "colonel." I guess I've always been better at spelling than romance.

    Thanks to Trine and her handy digital camera for the pictures below!



    | left: Lisa blows out her birthday candles
    | right: me with my bukseseler, eh?

    No comments: