Pages

Logbook

    2.09.2008

    More Eavesdropping

    A few days after arriving in York, I went with John and Brad to the local public library. I checked out a selection of collections of poetry, only to discover, right in the middle of Billy Collins, yet another piece of correspondence not addressed to me. This is not quite the find as the last "found correspondence" I posted (this one is not nearly as old, extensive, or quirky), but I was perversely excited nonetheless. On one hand, there is not nearly as much to decode in this postcard as in the letter from Jay, but otherwise it's all the more mysterious and intriguing because of its brevity. So much context is taken for granted by both author and recipient, it feels like overhearing a conversation between strangers. At any rate, it's as British as the day is long, and I think I want to meet some of these characters: "Stuart Humby?" "Rosemary Stubbs?" You can't make this stuff up...

    Below are images of the postcard and a transcription of its message:

    Dear Val,

    I hope all is well with you and
    yours. You may know that Stuart Humby
    has finished his stint as an overseer, and I
    have been appointed your overseer in his place
    (still shared with Rosemary Stubbs). As always,
    do give me a ring if you need help. I hope to
    pop in and see you & Makel--and Elizabeth--before long.
    I'll email you to fix a time.

    Best wishes,
    Sylvia

    No comments: